Hi, my name is Melanie Marusczak.
I am a Health Improvement Practitioner (HIP) here at Te Aro Health Center. My training is as a Nurse and Nurse Practitioner. For the past 6 years, I worked in adult primary care in Berkeley, California. I also have specialty training in behavioural health. I moved to NZ last year and soon after I arrived, I learned about the HIP role and knew it was for me!
I love that as a HIP I get to support our whaiora to connect to a life that brings them meaning while allowing space for people to connect with the things that matter most to them. I also love working as a member of your primary care team alongside the wonderful providers here at Te Aro Health Center!
What is a Health Improvement Practitioner?
A Health Improvement Practitioner is a medical professional with specialty training in behavioural health interventions. This role was developed so whaiora can be better supported within their own community- at their primary care clinic!
Some of the topics we can work together on:
- Alcohol and Drugs
- Treatment Adherence
- Health Choices
- Risk and Safety
- Family Issues
- Relationship Problems
- Chronic Conditions
What to expect:
- Appointments run between 20 to 30 minutes
- There is no charge for appointments with a HIP
- Same day appointments are often available, or appointments can be scheduled in advance
- Drop-in appointments are available at DCM on scheduled days
- You must be a member of Te Aro Health Center to see a HIP